This salad recipe is great as is, but can be jazzed up with a sprinkling of your favorite fresh feta or toasted pumpkin seeds. Be sure to use the freshest peas for the greatest crunch!
2 lb medium carrots
1/2 lb fennel bulb
1/4 lb red or torpedo onion
2 hearts of celery
1 head of frisee
1 small head red leaf lettuce
1/4 lb fresh snap peas or shelled english peas
1/2 cup parsley leaves
1-2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp water
1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves or 1 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp honey or sugar
1 garlic clove, smashed to a paste
1-2 ripe avocados
2-3 cups thin sliced day old bread, preferably a baguette or something similar
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 garlic clove
- In a 10 or 12-inch skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the garlic clove and tilt the pan back to pool the oil toward the handle. Gently fry the garlic clove for 10-15 seconds to flavor the oil. Return the pan to horizontal position and add the bread. Mix and toss the bread gently with a wooden spoon until all the pieces are coated in the oil. The bread may break into smaller pieces; this is a good thing.
- Lower the heat and fry the bread gently, stirring occasionally until it begins to turn golden. Stir the bread frequently as it begins to color and continue cooking and tossing until it turns the color of honey, 5-8 minutes. Season with salt and remove the bread to a plate to cool. Can be made 2 days in advance and kept in an airtight container.
- Wash all the vegetables, lettuces, and herbs and let dry in a colander. Meanwhile, make the dressing.
- Mix the vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic, oregano, water, salt and pepper together in a bowl with a whisk. Slowly drizzle the oil into the bowl while whisking. Season with salt and pepper, at least 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper.
- On a mandoline slicer, shave the carrots into long thin slices, about 1/8-1/4- inch thick. Shave the fennel, celery hearts, and onion in the same manner. Put all of the shaved vegetables into a large bowl. Add a few handfuls of ice and enough water to barley cover and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Slice the snap peas in half lengthwise. Dry the frisee and tear into bit sized pieces. Dry the red leaf lettuce and cut into ribbons 1/2-inch thick.
- Drain and spin dry the shaved vegetables, making sure to remove any unmelted ice. Toss the shaved vegetables together with the peas and lettuces. Add the dressing and 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the salad and mix well. Put the salad into a serving bowl and top with the chopped parsley. Cube the avocado into 1-inch chunks and add to the top of the salad, as well as the crunchy bread.
Serve it with a crisp white wine and enjoy!
Chef Joe Ferraro